On Wednesday, April 20, 2005, 4:19:48 PM, Jim wrote:

JM> Do you configure rules similar to in the previous versions, or by using this
JM> as a plug in is there a GUI for configuration.

We configure the rulebase the same way we have in the past. Using the
plugin is not different from using the command line utility except
that the performance is better (faster) and the installation and
operation is simpler. The "service/subscription" part of Message
Sniffer has not changed.

---

We have a GUI web app for the rulebase (we use it every day), however
we have discovered through trial and error that a lot of specialized
training is required to keep the rulebase working correctly and that
one GUI does not suit many users... each group seems to need their
own!

We are working on plans for some simpler web apps in the future to
handle specialized tasks, however that too seems best handled in other
ways for the time being. For example, every system that provides
automation to their users for false positive handling and custom
black-rules seems to do it in their own special way --- so rather than
build a web app that doesn't really suit anyone we have adopted the
strategy of providing automation tools (such as our XML based REmost
SCripted Updater [RESCU] utility) and consulting to integrate each
customer's existing or planned automation efforts with their back-end
rulebase configuration. These efforts are usually reserved for larger
systems such as small ISPs and filtering service providers.

As always we want to support any third party efforts to provide
automation tools also. So far we haven't seen much in the way of GUI
automation, probably for the same reasons we haven't tackled it yet.

I think I may have answered more than the base question here - but I'm
hoping I've addressed some of the underlying questions.