Goran, I'd be interested in Pete's technical answer, too.

The practical answer is that you should always go with the persistent
instance of Message Sniffer.  From reading Pete's previous screeds and
monitoring the list here in the last year and from having my own
troubles, it's pretty clear to me that only marginal cases suffer with
the persistent mode (and I was one of them).

Pete's answer on volumes won't answer what are the marginal cases, it
just doesn't fit your question.  For me, it was simple lack of hardware,
but I was *right* on the edge.

Andrew 8)