Hi,

>> The few that I sent to their FALSE address have always been challenged as
legitimate.   <<

Well, I can say that so far I have no complaints with their handling of any
of my false-positive reports.

>> I completely disabled SNF lookups to avoid complaints from our users <<

I always used Sniffer as part of a weighting scheme to compensate for false
positives. Or, you could decide not to act on the Sniffer "IP" return code.

>> need to ensure SNF causes no False Positives <<

I agree here. While I can excuse the occasional "accidental" FP - there
should NOT be the mindset that customers just have to live with the fact
that the IP rules WILL always catch a certain amount of good emails, because
no effort has been made to exempt "known good" IP/RevDNS ranges.

I also think that the "low false positive" argument is built on unproven
assumptions.  To me, researching and reporting a single false positives
takes a very significant amount of time.  Bigger users may simply have no
practical way to reporting their false positives and instead just "cope"
with it by using weight-based systems to compensate.

The process of finding "clues" in the header, then finding the correct log
file and then matching log file lines in Sniffer, then creating an evidence
email, is just far too cumbersome.  I should be able to forward any falsely
identified emails (with SMTP headers) as easily as I can submit "real spam"
for analysis.  If that requires that Sniffer has to insert header
information with the "rule number" - so be it. My inclination is, if it's
currently 10 times harder to report false positives than it is to report
missed spam, then I suspect that the false positive rates could be 10 times
higher than what's actually being reported.

Best Regards
Andy Schmidt

Phone:  +1 201 934-3414 x20 (Business)
Fax:    +1 201 934-9206