From: snmp4j-boun...@agentpp.org [mailto:snmp4j-boun...@agentpp.org] On
Behalf Of Frank Fock
Sent: Monday, June 03, 2013 2:59 AM
To: snmp4j@agentpp.org
Subject: Re: [SNMP4J] Performance hotspot in Cipher.getInstance() method
call

Hi Praveen,

SNMP4J is not caching the cipher object. Apparently, the performance
overhead of retrieving a Cipher instance is not that great with newer Java
versions.
Nevertheless, I am currently working on a caching solution, which does not
introduce a new bootleneek for multi-threaded usage for SNMP4J 2.x.

If it will possible, I will also provide a backport to the 1.x branch.

Best regards,
Frank

Am 30.05.2013 13:03, schrieb Praveen Jain:
> We are using SNMP4J version 1.11.4 for a legacy application running in
> Java
> 1.4 environment. The application behaved slower than expected and
> profiling showed that there is hotspot in PrivDES.encrypt() method.
> This method in turn calls javax.crypto.Cipher.getInstance(String)
> method (apparently on each message transmission) and
> Cipher.getInstance(String) is the expensive and CPU intensive call. Can
you please suggest if:

> 1.       This might be due wrong way of calling SNMP4J api (and also point
> to a reference code for correct usage to prevent this problem)
>
> 2.       Is this an inherent problem with Java 1.4 code?
>
> 3.       Is this a problem with SNMP 1.11.4 code (it is not caching the
> obtained cipher object)?
>
> Thanks in advance for the help.
>

> -Praveen

---