To: "dharban" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <soaring@airage.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 11:03 PM
Subject: Re: [RCSE] Re: LSF Discussion

I am sorry but in the ESL the point off max can be as little 40 points for an entire contest. I'll assume the same occurs at other contest where top notch pilots frequent.
It doesn't happen everywhere, but it does happen more than you think.
5.5 feet won't put you in the top 3... probably not in the top 10.

Look, if you made the task something like
Saturday or Sunday from 8 am to 5 pm you must have one 10 minute flight with an L4 landing of 90 or better once every hour, with only one attempt an hour. Sun - Wed if you started on Saturday. or Monday - Thurs if you started Sun go out at the same time each daybetween 8-10 am or 5-7pm and put in one 10 minute flight with L4 landing of 90 or better with only one attempt Time of perfect allowed 3 seconds. Once you choose the time to go out you must keep that time for each daily attempt. You must fly the attempt each following day.

That would be a serious attempt... Why the comittment is there, the task is quite tough, since you MUST find air each time, and must land each time.
The pressure is off from a contest perspective.
You aren't guaranteed good air .. by having this you have simulated the difficulty a contest pilot has in that he can't choose his air... he has to fly This is only a thought... but in reality I am sure someone will figure out where I have erred... But 3 in 1 hour is easy...BTW you'll be surprised how easy it is to hit the 10:00.

I've got to say that doing it in a contest is still more challenging, and fun.

dharban wrote:

\"I DON'T GET THE 3 FLIGHTS IN 1 HOUR. THE LSF PROHIBITS THE TD PARTS
FROM
OCCURRING IN THE SAME DAY FOR A SIMILAR REASON, THE AIR CAN BE GREAT
AND
A 1 HOUR TIME FRAME SIMPLY MEANS YOU CAN BE FLYING IN GREAT AIR.
THAT'S
NOT HARD!!!. IF THE AIR IS GOOD IT IS EASY. ALSO LANDING ON AN L4 TAPE
WITHOUT THE NERVES OF COMPETITION IS EASY.
SO 3 FLIGHTS WITH LANDINGS IN 1 HOUR TO ME ARE QUITE EASY AND DON'T
REPRESENT A CHALLENGE.\"

I've stated elsewhere that there is no exact equivalent to competition.
This alternative proposal is simply that.  For those who want the
precise challenge of competition there is only one way to get it.

The three flights constitute one task.  This task must be repeated six
times on separate days.

The air can be great all day long or it can cycle through every few
minutes or anything in between.  Another comment on this thread voiced
your same concern.  If the powers that be believe that lift is likely
to be more or less uniform during the one hour period, the requirement
can be for three flights to be flown at some other *specified*
interval.  The point here is to require the pilot to fly in air and at
times not of his choosing -- more or less like competition.

If you think the task is easy, demonstrate it to yourself by going out
and flying the task six times with a 2350 score each time.  (50 points
from perfection -- I have researched as best I can the kind of scores
that win the bigger competitions around the country and I believe a
2350 in this event will put you in the money most of the time -- if I
am wrong, please correct me).  Let me know when your tasks done -- if
you can stand the boredom :)

I PERSONALLY DON'T SEE THAT AS A VALID SET OF CHALLENGES. TO ME THIS
IS
A WATERED DOWN ACHEIVEMENT PROGRAM THAT DOESN'T CHALLENGE ANYONE
EXCEPT
FOR THE 8 HOUR SLOPE.
I'M NOT IMPRESSED.

If this should be the final form of the tasks and you are not
impressed, don't do it.  You may be correct in your assessment that it
won't challenge anyone -- the few times I have ventured out of the
sticks to the real contests in your world I haven't seen many scores
(non-normalized) which are this good.  For those who are not familiar
with the AMA tasks a 2350 point score would require three flights with
perfect 10 minute 0 second times and three landings averaging within 5
1/2 feet if the spot or three perfect spot landings and three flights
landing within 2 seconds of the target time or some intermediate
combination of flight time precision and flight landing precision).  As
an alternative, you could increase the points required to increase the
difficulty. (It is noteworthy that the result for many of the SC2
events reflect a runway landing -- if this is the AMA L5 landing it
awards full landing points for hitting a 5 meter by 5 meter square
target).

--
Jeff Steifel