Already the silly season of winter has swung into high gear.

Suggesting a line strength and turnaround distance as required info for AMA
contest sanctions so we can choose whether to go or not go to specific contests.

Also smell a possible black helicoptor conspericy with the trend towards
shorter, hi test lines to force all sailplane launching to be of the motorized
variation. No more winches, hi test lines, sandbagging, popoffs, sore
shoulders, downwind launches etc. to deal with.

 I'm begining to warm up to the idea.

Regards, Dave Corven.

--- Begin Message ---
Wow Jack ,

You are really on to it with this shortening lines thing !  I sat around for quite a few minutes before I thought of something even dumber ...but I managed! :-)

I'm thinking with us getting older and the cost of fuel to lug winches around, and if its really about pilot skill and thermal reading/working...lets just hand toss the damn things and call for 20min tasks.

We'd be able to get in about 40 rounds per day so that would make contests that much more attractive to attend, and of course set up would be minimal, also no hassles with changing turnarounds for wind direction, and those mysterious bastards who you all seem to know are out there who take advantage of line breaks and pop offs, well 'they' will be out of luck with no lines to break and no pop offs.

Setting up the models will be easier because there will be no need to agonize over tow hook placement, elevator comps or camber switch programming.  Those of you who haven't figured out how to program your JR radios so that there's no need to flip a switch to make the throttle stick camber or landing lever in mid flight, again no worries, not needed any more.

Dang it makes so much sense, so logical, can't figure out why you guys didn't think of this sooner!

That new 150" SupraDurpraIcon will devour the soaring scene! I mean it will have to have a glide advantage and no worries about clogging up contests with broken line concerns. (and will provide fodder to RC Groups about it having an unfair advantage demanding that owners leave its tips off).

300'?  I laugh!  Lets show 'those' guys at contest that us real men want a true soaring event....lets get rid of winches all together!
What do you think Chicago?  You guys seem to have been sitting around thinking up good ideas :-)

Shorten the lines and you can bet the line will get shorter.

Gordy :-)