  From: Robert Samuels
  To: soaring@airage.com
  Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2008 2:40 PM
  Subject: [RCSE] Antenna Follies

   I had a transmitter antenna problem last year.  My Futaba 8 U has a
Smiley Rubber Ducky antenna.  This attaches by means of a spring loaded
bayonet mount.  Due to the design the spring loading allows the mating pin
to flex back and fourth a bit.  After years of use I found the pin had
broken off and that I had been flying with the antenna connection just
barely touching.  I think that is what caused the crash of my Organic at
last years Nats.

  So I bought a new Rubber Ducky antenna assuming I would get a few more
years of use before it failed.  I was wrong.  I just checked it and found it
had failed the same way.  After only a few months of use.  Probably due to
all the HL flying I've been doing which causes a lot of flexing of the
spring loaded mount back and fourth during the launching process with it's
attendant mating pin flexing.

  Glad I caught it during a shop check.

  Robert Samuels .......... St. Louis

  Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging. You IM, we
give. Learn more.