I had to put a carbon rod into service as a stab axle once. All I had was one
of insufficient diameter. Luckily, I had a piece of brass tubing that it fit
into perfectly, and the brass tube fit perfectly into the carriers in the
stabs. I thought this was a perfect marriage of the stiffness of the carbon and
the pliable durability of the brass. The brass tube kept the carbon from
bending
and the brass tube kept the carbon from getting nicked and precluded the
eventuality of it breaking. I've probably exposed myself to the risk of being
called an idiot by the ravaging hordes of engineers that patrol RCSE, armed as
they are with equations and wielding calculators, and I am probably guilty of
that, but I can say that I have lived to tell the tale.

Bill Wingstedt

listings at AOL Autos.