Hmm.. As a CD, I've been looking forward to the many organizational benefits that a mass conversion to 2.4 would bring to putting on sizable sailplane competitions. Now comes the observation that, by placing all 2.4 equipped competitors in the same pool, the practice of using the same frequency as your close fellow pilot (OFB) to facilitate timing for each other is no longer possible and that is viewed as a bad thing. On the contrary, it will help the flow of contestants throughout the event. All too often, I have seen significant delays at contests while a pilot locates his "special" timer. Admittedly, it's great to be timed by a buddy that knows your style and helps you read air but that should never be the cause for delay. If you need that crutch, convince your buddy to not compete but come along as your timer. I've never seen trophies awarded to a team of pilot and timer. The flyer who attends a contest alone must take whatever timer can be found. In my opinion, the best pilot should be able to perform well no matter who does the timing. If the advent of 2.4 modifies the environment of competition and makes that so, I, for one, say hurrah!! Jim Deck 2008 NATS UNL CD