For those who mastered the Profi 4000, there does not seem to be anything
comparable out there and some of us are so reluctant to change to any of the
other radios  (knowing the 4K will be dead soon due to lack of parts and
support from Hitech) that a group has started designing and building a
replacement that will have open source code, and anything mentioned here
plus more.

Before you ask, it will be a long time in coming as it is just a hobby
design/build at this time. If any of you serious coders out there want a
crack at coding the OP system, we are looking for your talent.

It will probably start out as a kit build with completed boards and a new
case (like a pizza box but smaller). It will do all the 4K will do and more
but the programming logic will probably remain the same, ie. no need for
templates and you assign what you want where you want it.

I have two 4K's and just converted one to 2.4 using a Spektrum Futaba module
(several have done this before and it seems to work fine so far). I used the
2.4 in Nostalgia at the Nat's this year and it performed just fine as far
away as I could ever want to fly. I will add a couple of more planes to the
2.4 that are not serious moldies and build confidence slowly. No I do not
know about the increased latency yet because a Paragon would not be a good
test but it seems to be flying the same as before, like a Paragon.

Jack