In a message dated 4/17/00, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< In my opinion, unless you're doing it for EXERCISE, throwing a ship upwards
 during an electric winch launch is NOT A GOOD IDEA.

Well, it may not be a great idea, but it can be effective.  We had a good
demonstration yesterday at the monthly TPG contest.  Ron Scharck (IHLGF fame)
and I were flying the same plane (mine) and timing for each other.

    My launch style is the rear grip, lots of tension and a good LEVEL heave.
 The plane flies immediately, but requires 15-20 feet of air travel to rotate
to the climb attitude.  The climb attitude is very steep as the plane is set
up to climb at maximum angle, but sometimes requires a touch of down at about
the 30 degree line angle.  The adjustable tow hook enables the hook position
to be exactly positioned requiring no elevator compensation prior to launch.

    Ron's style is the forward grip, moderate tension, overhand throw with a
slight 5-10 degree upward throw.  The plane was immediately climbing, there
was no transition air travel.  The result was a launch 50 feet or so higher
than mine.  The air was good yesterday, so the launch height did not matter,
but on some days, that extra 50 ft could make a difference.

    So will I use the forward grip?  Probably not routinely as there is a
difference in the physical capabilities of Ron and I.  I am about 5' 11", 175
lbs and 65 years on the planet.  Ron is 10 years younger, 6' 2" and mega
mass.  He can hold the line tension with his arm in back of him, where I
cannot and I run the risk of having the elevator hit my head during the
launch.

    So Ron will you launch my plane for me??

Don Richmond
San Diego, CA