Wing warps?
Maybe you need to throw harder (and not too steeply either)?
Maybe the cg is more conservative than the towhook position? THese go
together. If you have a forward cg, you need more up elevator in normal
flight, which makes problems when you launch unless you move the tow
hook further forward, in which case you just get lower launches. Maybe
you're expecting a higher launch angle than you should and pull up too
much on launch? (See above about conservative tow hook loacations as
they affect launch height (and, of course, angle).) You might try just a
small (and I mean small) touch of down elevator or at least less up
elevator when the plane goes wacky. I had a friend who was absolutely
sure his Drifter 2 was gone as it started to spin in the wind on the
high start. I couldn't convince him to use down elevator, and it took me
a while to get him to hand me the transmitter, but fortunately it was
high up. Just dived it out of the spin and resumed the climb. In
general, a bit of down when you are having control problems is a good
habit, because the increased airspeed makes the controls more powerful
and unstalls the wing. However, if your high start is strong you don't
want to use a lot of down for long, as the plane will go too fast and
flutter. Use just enough to stop the stall. If you start messing with
the CG and towhook, do it in small increments, say 1/8" or a bit more at
a time. I think in general, cg and towhook position instructions are
overly conservative, particularly on beginner airplanes, on the theory
that someone who doesn't know better should be safe and someone who does
will know what to do after the first flight.

The Spirit is kind of short coupled so it is more squirrelly than other
airplanes, especially when slow or near stall, though the marketing
budget makes up for this in the ways that are important to Great Planes.

--
Lincoln Ross
NOTE ADDRESS CHANGE: