A fairly small group made the second trek this year to Syossett, Long
Island, for the LISF Fall contest: David Walter, Lost Bruzual, Mark Drela,
Bruce Schneider and Yours Truly. Fritz Bien was committed to a wedding, Jeff
Newcum has left the hobby and sold all his planes, Jan Kansky had messed up
his schedule, John Nilsson is out rooting for Kerry, and Miner Crary must
have decided not to visit his relatives in NY. They missed out on a great
contest.

The forecast was for light winds, temperatures in the 70’s and partly cloudy
conditions, which turned out to be pretty close.

Saturday’s briefing followed the standard, tough, LISF script: Man-on-man,
Experts against Experts, Sportsmen against Sportsmen, no field boundaries
(but good luck finding your plane in the woods), you get sent home in
disgrace if you land in the near-by soccer fields, one pop-off in the first
round for experts, and after that “fly it out”, sportsmen got one pop-off
per day, line breaks would result in public humiliation, landings 5 foot
graduated tapes, 50 points max.

Round 1 was a 7 minute round, and after that we flew 8 minute rounds with a
final one of 15 minutes. The first two rounds were quite challenging with
broad and very light lift. Mark Drela’s Supra and Mark’s fingers performed
superbly in these early rounds. I am dying to get my hands on a 48 oz, 130”
ship, but I know I don’t have the skill, patience, etc. to build one from
scratch. The rest of the rounds we had slightly better lift, but it never
boomed, and you really had to work at getting your times. Pop-off were very
infrequent, I believe limited to Sportsmen, and there was just one line
break, which resulted in the promised public humiliation of Tony Guide. The
last round really helped spread the scores, which had been quite close
through the day. After the last round we were told that a problem with the
scoring program prevented scores from being posted, but we were promised
final results the next day. After staying up late that night, the scores
were straightened out and were as follows: Tom Kiesling took first, followed
by our David Walter, then Phil Barnes, John Jenks and just out of the wood,
me. Jose made 7th, and Mark Drela was dead last in Expert. In Sportsman
Leszek Zyga took first, Luis Bustamante second, our Bruce Schneider 3rd and
Fred Tyra 4th. Tom’s performance needs no comment. Dave Walter continues to
prove the point that a good pilot with a familiar plane has a strong edge.
In these conditions a heavy plane with a 7037 airfoil should be outclassed
by Aegeas and Supras, but Dave can fly any conditions and place at the top,
I got what I deserved, but I wonder what happened to Jose and especially
Mark. Jose is flying his MH-32 Mantis really well, and I thought Mark was
right up with the winners. It is hard to keep up with what is going on at a
Man-on-Man contest, especially of you have equipment problems. I was plagued
all weekend by failing wiring and was thoroughly chastised by a “helpful”
group of bystanders for my lack of shrinkwrap over my solder joints. The
only “interesting” incident was when one of the sportsmen’s Manti lost a
tail on launch.

Sunday’s briefing was “same as yesterday”, but with 10 minute rounds all
day. The first round was flown with a thin cloud cover, but that quickly
burned off and we had blue skies the rest of the day. Both the first and
second rounds had very light lift, but after that we had boomers. At times
the lift would be as good as I have ever experienced. At low altitude you
had to locate the lift, but once you got to altitude the 10 minutes would be
“no problem”. This actually made the 10 minute tasks “bad”. If you missed
the thermals in one round you got buried so deep you couldn’t climb out, AND
when you caught it, the flying got really boring. Dave Walter became victim
to this in the last round. He had been doing great, as usual, and in the
last round it was Tom Kiesling, Dave, myself and Tony Guide. Tom launched
first and took off in a bee-line. Tony launched and followed Tom. Dave then
launched and decided to find his own air because Tom is a very hard person
to follow – by the time he reaches the thermal we normally have lost too
much altitude to catch it. I was lucky, because Tom found a great thermal
before I had come off the zoom. So all I had to do was to fly over and join
Tom and Tony. Poor Dave was slammed into the ground and ended up in the
middle of the contest results. One bad move, and out of the running. The
same happened to Mark Drela, on top all day and then one bad final flight.
For “entertainment” we had Paul Bell, the CD, loose radio contact with his
plane and get more upset than I have ever seen him before. He is going to
have to buy a new antenna. The CD from Saturday, John Hauff, managed to pull
the wing hold-down block out on launch and try to spear the guy at the
turnarounds, and Tom “landed” his plane in the woods, but did not loose his
time because of the absence of field boundaries. So, at the end of the day
the results were as follows: In Expert, first, and weekend champ, was Tom
“thank God for no field boundaries” Kiesling, followed by Mike Lachowski,
Terry Luckenbach and Mark Drela. Then Jose Bruzual, Phil Barnes and myself,
followed by Dave Walter. In Sportsman Bruce Schneider took first, followed
by Luis Bustamante, Frank Strommer and Pete Nicholson. There was one very
interesting incident that I missed. Mike Lachowski and Mark Drela crossed
paths during one round. They both fly Supras, and Mark followed the wrong
plane. He realized the plane wasn’t responding to his control input, but by
then the plane was headed to Mother Earth. He pulled hard up elevator and
was able to save the plane.

On the Anker Scale of Contest Difficulty this was semi-hard. On Saturday 6
out of 24 contestants were within 90% of the winner. On Sunday 7 out of 24
made 90%+.

A couple of general observations: As we were getting ready Saturday morning
I noticed an original Airtronics Legend (the short-nosed one) leaning
against a car. That was my first full-house ship and I had to find out who
it belonged to. It turned out to be Ed Anderson’s and he had just bought it
as an upgrade from his Gentle Lady. A good choice. The Legend didn’t fly
that great, and it was really heavy. But it wasn’t a total dog either. Once
Ed is comfortable with the Legend he should be ready to go Mantis. It was
also great to see Frank Strommer back in the club. I knew him back in the
late 80s and early 90s, but he disappeared and is now back.

This is the last contest before the ESL End-of-Season contest. The standings
are still wide open and the contest next week should be really interesting.

I have left travel last. The trip down was the trip from hell, and the trip
home was the fastest ever. I guess it averages out.

Finally, check out the ESL web site at www.FlyESL.com. It’s a great site!

Anker