From: Joe Wurts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2004 10:14 PM
To: RCSE
Subject: [RCSE] Soaring, TD, Icon, NASCAR...

It isn't even GPS season yet.

I wish that there was a way to transmute the standard TD contest into a
soaring contest, but it just isn't going to happen.  Every so often a
soaring contest breaks out in the middle of a TD event, but not that often
out here in the west.  Typically, the thermal portion is just a minor
barrier to be stepped over before the real money is made or lost in the
landing circle.  My view is that I like soaring events.  If the precision
flying with respect to the ground is what was important to me, I would have
taken up pattern flying.  In other words, I don't really look at landing
proficiency in the same light as I do soaring proficiency.  I can say that
I've won, and lost, the biggest events in the world due to landings.  But
what I treasure are the soaring flights in these events, not drilling the
plane into the sod accurately.

Fortunately, there are some real soaring events out there for the intrepid
of heart.  A couple of weeks ago I attended what I consider the pinnacle of
soaring flying, a cross-country contest.  And even better, all of the
competitors flew for a large portion of the day, with some for more than
seven hours on Saturday.  The average distance flown on Saturday was 64
miles per team, with the top three teams getting more than 90 miles.  Note,
this is in a single flight, not an add-em-up.  Yup, conditions were good,
although it was shut down early when a layer of mid altitude stratus moved
over the area.  Lots of people flying a soaring contest, and the landings
were measured not with a tape, but an odometer!

There are other contests that are all about soaring, and not so much about
landing.  HLG is a good one.  It is all about reading and working the air,
with a derived requirement for good control of the airplane both for
thermalling, and in the turnaround when the conditions are good.  F3B is a
pre-eminent example, although it has some other challenges which make it
more difficult to learn.  BTW, if you can't handle your plane properly, you
cannot soar well, so I'm not sure that I totally agree about the airplane
handling justification for the emphasis on landings are merited.

To paraphrase Bozo, I got the plane that I designed...  And I finally
figured out how to design the airplane that matches my flying style, which
is what it is all about.  Find out what floats your boat, and LEARN how to
fly it.  The plane of the month club members typically don't earn much wood
in the winners circle.  I also happen to believe that it gives me an
advantage, but your mileage may vary.  It is just that it is such a good
match for how I want an airplane to fly.  Of course, this won't stop my
search for the next world beater!

NASCAR.  The rules that they are using are silly for measuring the best team
in the season.  But, they work well for the advertising.  Guess what, NASCAR
isn't about the racing, it is about a very large, and very successful,
business.  If a team has wrapped up the season championship in points well
before the last race, fewer people are going to be watching, which means
lower advertising revenue.  Not exactly an appropriate analogy for soaring,
as much fun as it would be...  DP did note that it does match up fairly well
with F3J.  Throwing out the preliminary scores just doesn't make much sense
to a lot of people.

Back to lurking,
Joe Wurts

PS  A moment of silence is requested for my now deceased XC ship, Wile E.s
Revenge.  Wiley has finally departed to the great thermal in the sky after
almost two decades of cross-country soaring.  Time to design the next
generation XC ship after a suitable mourning period.

"unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Please note that
MIME turned off.