I too got my first sampling of XC at the NATS this year and it was a very
surprising, and unexpected I might add, experience. In as few words as
possible...What a BLAST! NO, I didn't fly however I volunteered my Avalanche
as a chase vehicle for several Teams and, while driving/spotting, had the
opportunity to share in part of the experience with them:

1) Dr. Dan - Now here's a guy that is going to have fun, no matter what/how
he's flying. Rolls on tow, inverted tows...Let's have some fun.
2) Jim Bacus - Nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rockers...He'd
only flown his scale ship, for the first time, the weekend before. Always on
the lookout to learn more and share what he knows with others. No matter
what your level, Jim will "push" you to do better. You'll have fun doing it
and you'll learn a lot along the way.
3) TK - What can I say...Relaxed, knows his stuff, don't sweat the small
stuff. His sense of humor, open attitude, and willingness to help are
infectious. When he's helping you, he doesn't tell you what to do...He
nudges you in the right direction and, when the light comes on for you, he's
the one that has a grin from ear to ear - mission accomplished!
4) Peter Goldsmith - Peter, finessing his XC plane around the course is art!
If ever you get the opportunity to fly/learn from Peter, 2 words, DO IT! I
drove for Peter during his 1st Place run and understood more, during that
run, just listening to him explain what he was doing, why he was doing it,
and the thought process behind it all. With the back of the AV open, I could
clearly hear/see him explaining to Bacus everything that was going on. The
look on Jimmy's face was like an apprentice standing before the master (and
Jim's no slouch on his own!). I hope that sometime in the future I get the
opportunity to fly with him myself.

I got to meet a lot of new people, people that really support this aspect of
soaring, and now I have a little more understanding of why they're so
passionate about it. Heck, they even hooked me...I came away with TK's 4M
Discus after he decided to purchase a Nimbus4! On the surface XC may not
sound all that exciting however, if you get the opportunity, try it...I
think you'll be surprised!

Oh yeah...On last thing...My Teams came in 5th, 3rd, and 1st...Maybe the
Avalanche helped, maybe not??? <G> All I know is I came away with a new
interest and respect for XC which was totally unexpected!

Thanks to all of the above for letting me be part of the experience!

-Sheldon-
YNT uDesign