A few posts queried the Mano Y Mano comment. The epistemology derives from
boxing and martial arts. Literally hand to hand but generally used to denote a
one on one competition or challenge in an athletic event, typically boxing,
martial arts or wrestling. Widely used by gamers these days. But first used
(in  my experience) to hype a match about 15 years or so ago between a couple of
 Hispanic boxers. The term has stuck and been somewhat corrupted by common
usage  in other areas.

Now as to a specific challenge. I'm of the opinion that  airfoils and
planforms DO matter. Probably the most sensitive area might be DLG  (F3B also but
that's way out of my league). So a friendly competition is  suggested.
Specifically, I'll challenge Gordy to a DLG event at a place and time  to be
determined.
Maybe one of the East coast events in the spring or early  summer.

I'm building a couple of planes this winter just for messing  around so I'll
make one for me and one for Gordy. Mine will have a Drela  section. Gordy's
will have a Clark-Y. Everything else will be identical. If  that's acceptable,
I'll supply the plane in late January or early February. Each  pilot provides
his own radio equipment. I'll run the estimated polars and launch  height
capability of both ships and supply that as well.

With the local  CD's permission, I'd ask that the two of us be flown against
each other in the  same flight group for each task. Same air, same time
window. Everything else  about the contest to be flown as per the CDs normal
instructions.

I'm not  great at DLG but have been flying it for a few years whereas I
suspect Gordy has  not. Therefore, an option would be to allow a 'launcher' if he
so  chooses. This option to be consistent with the rules normally applied when
someone else launches (at least at TNT) - pilot must pick up the plane after
each flight and hand it to the launcher.

What say ye, Gordy?

"Gordy's Travels" VS "Tech Topics"

It's about a 14 hr drive from  here to Kentucky - that works for me.

Nothing on the line but bragging rights and a little entertainment.

- Dave R