On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 23:59:58 -0700 Stephen Hutton <shut...@featurecomplete.com>
wrote:

SH> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 3:45 AM, Vadim Zeitlin <vz-s...@zeitlins.org> wrote:

SH> > SH> If recall correctly, this is for binding to stored procedure out
SH> > SH> parameters.
SH> >
SH> >  But shouldn't into() be used for "out" parameters? Perhaps this could be
SH> > useful for in/out parameters but I don't even know if such thing is
SH> > supported by SOCI -- is it?
SH>
SH> Yes, it's precisely for in/out parameter support.
SH> http://soci.sourceforge.net/doc/exchange.html
SH>
SH> "It is still possible to provide const data for use elements. Note that
SH> some database servers, like Oracle, allow PL/SQL procedures to modify their
SH> in/out parameters - this is detected by the SOCI library and an error is
SH> reported if the database attempts to modify the use element that holds const
SH>  data."

 Thanks, this was not at all obvious to me. I also still believe it's a
pretty bad idea to allow modifying use() parameters as I think it could be
unexpected to others as well.

 Please also notice that this definitely doesn't work neither in ODBC nor
PostreSQL backends where the use() parameters are read-only and I think it
doesn't work in any other ones neither. So this really looks like a
leftover from SOCI Oracle origins as it's the only backend for which this
is possible.

 And IMO it should be forbidden and, if necessary, some inout() helper
similar to use() and into() should be added. But I won't change this
myself.

 Regards,
VZ