Bill

--

--------- Original Message ---------
DATE: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 22:55:15
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: Social Credit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[Joe wrote:-] --> Bill, didn't the Aberhart government try to have
a 'ticket system' similar to what you're describing?
Wasn't there some problems with its acceptance by
merchants?
----------

[Bill Ryan replied:-}  The Social Credit government issued stamp scrip notes
called "Prosperity Certificates."  See the attached
photocopy also archived at
http://www.geocities.com/socredus/compendium .  I
think their biggest problem--apart from the fact they
were based on Silvio Gesell's harebrained idea of
"disappearing money"--was that the banks wouldn't
accept them for deposit or in payment of debt to the
banks.  I think the federal authorities prohibited
the Alberta government from accepting them in payment
of taxes.  They nevertheless did circulate somewhat
in facilitation of trade, as should be evident from
the visible wear and tear to the note in the
photograph.  It is definitely not in "mint"
condition.
--
    Hello Bill,

Thanks for sending the photo re:- the "Prosperity Certificate".  As I recall reading
somwhere this wasn't a Douglas idea at all, but something Aberhart had picked up from
reading Gesell.  And introduced on his own, after disregarding Douglas's advice. I
believe it was brought in early on in Aberhart's first term, and there were several
problems with acceptability.  Later on though, after Byrne came over, I believe they
attempted to introduce a 'voucher' system that was more in line with Douglas's
'tickets'.  There was still a problem with acceptability, but apparently some headway
was being made.  Until the wartime restrictions and rationing interfered.  Manning
apparently abandoned the effort after he became Premier.

There were a couple of good books out a few years ago about this whole period.  One
was called "Major Douglas and Alberta Social Credit", in which the author, Bob
Hesketh, makes some conclusions I don't particularly agree with, but does a credible
job of documenting the events.  The other was "Politics and Public Debt: The Dominion,
the Banks, and Alberta Social Credit."  This was written by a fellow then employed as
an auditor by the Bank of Canada, and showed just how serious the private Banks viewed
the advent of Social Credit.  And some of the efforts undertaken by them to try to
contain and destroy it.

Joe