***] A weakness in his approach to this subject is
reflected here in his comments about induction,
deduction and Malthus [***

Keith, will you please expand on this.  You can't
just leave us hanging like this.  Well, you can, but
I hope you don't.

***Michael Lane has gone far to correcting the
careless comments (in this speech) about induction
and deduction [***

What does he (or you) mean by "careless comments"?

***] and Michael's effort to focus on a small scale
application of the social credit solution does
address what I regard as Douglas' "malthusian error".
[***

What is his "malthusian error"?

I've transcribed the first three pages of Dunhedin in
plain text that I append below.  Here, he discusses
deduction, induction and mentions Malthus.
--

Douglas at Dunedin, New Zealand, 1934

[pages 1-3 except last paragraph page 3 of pdf
document.]

Mr. Chairman, Ladies and Gentlemen:  I propose to
take up your time for a little while with a certain
number of considerations which you may not
immediately connect with finance.

I assure you that, so far as the practical problem of
dealing with the present situation is concerned, that
these preliminary matters on which I wish to engage
your attention are of primary importance.

Now I should like, first of all, to direct your
attention to the fact that the advance of the world--
the progress of the world--depends ultimately upon
what I might call a point of view.  And the world has
been for a considerable time operating, as you might
say, within two divergent points of view, one of
which is old--as we count age--and one of which has a
later origin to which I will refer.

The first of these points of view, or habits of mind,
as you might say, is called by those people who deal
in the science of logic, the *deductive* habit of
mind, which may be translated as the habit of arguing
from the general to the particular.  Let me explain
what I mean, and what is meant by that.

Supposing you had never seen a cow, and the first
sight that you had of a cow was on the skyline
standing still.  You would see a silhouette of a cow,
and it would appear to have two legs, and someone
would say, "That is a cow!"  Now, if you had the
deductive habit of mind you would immediately form a
theory about cows and you would say, "That is a cow.
All cows are black, all cows have two legs, and all
cows stand still."  And when somebody pointed out to
you in the plains a red animal with white spots
moving rapidly you would deny that that could
possibly be a cow.  No cow could possibly exhibit
four legs, have white spots, or move about.  You have
a fixed theory about cows, and your consequent theory
about cows does not fit in with that theory, and,
therefore, it is not a cow.  (Laughter).

That is the deductive habit of mind.  It has produced
certain results of value largely in the sphere of
moral and intellectual advance, and perhaps the most
outstanding example of the deductive type of mind was
the great philosopher Aristotle, and his work is
embodied in a book which is called "Aristotle's
Ethics."

Now the great defect of the deductive habit of mind
is that it is static, that is forms a theory--just as
I was suggesting you could form a theory about cows--
and in its pure form that theory is eternal.  No
facts will shift it at all.  Anything that does not
conform with that theory is not a fact.

This deductive habit of mind persisted from long
before the Christian era until down to about the
middle of the 16th century, when a man arose who
became Lord Chancellor of England--Francis Bacon--and
he wrote two books, one of which was called "On the
Advancement of Learning," and the other was called
the "Novum Organum," which no  doubt most of you know
means "New Method."  And among the things that he
said was something like this.  (In writing down my
notes for what I am saying tonight I had to quote
this from memory because I have not the books here in
New Zealand).  Bacon said: "Further speculation along
the lines of these great ancients is fruitless.  What
is required is to cultivate the just relationship
between the mind and things."

Now that may--if you sort it out of its rather
ancient English--seem to you to be a very obvious
thing for anybody to say, it was a completely new
idea.  It was an absolutely revolutionary method of
thinking.  It was the birth of the experimental
method.

From that time onwards in certain lines of activity,
instead of its being possible to set up a theory, and
say that theory is a good theory, and is eternal, we
have got into the habit of mind in certain spheres of
activity of saying any fact is a good fact, and a
great fact is a good fact, but any theory against
which anybody can bring a fact which will not fit
into it, is a bad theory and should be discarded.  I
want you to grasp that idea because it is vital in
connection with what we are talking about tonight.

Now, up to the time of, and, of course, for some time
after the formulation of this theory, which is called
the *deductive* method of thinking--the method of
arguing from facts to a tentative theory which you
discard as soon as it ceases to coincide with the
facts, and this is the reverse of the idea of forming
a rigid theory and blinding yourself to the fact--up
to the time that this new inductive method of thought
came into operation, I should like you to observe
that from the material point of view the world made
no progress whatever.

*The method by which people got food, board and
clothes, and kept themselves against the storms, and
the way they built ships, and the way they
progressed--their transportation--and so forth, made
for all practical purposes no advance whatever in the
centuries, thousands of years, between the birth of
Christ and the sixteenth century--none whatever.*

The formulation of a fixed set of ideas is a
disregarding of facts.  The world was warned against
it nineteen hundred years ago, or so, when it was
said that the letter killeth, but the spirit maketh
alive.  There is no doubt running through the warp
and woof of things a certain amount of something that
we can call absolute truth, but the form of that
truth is always changing, and we are beginning to
understand that even in a mathematical form is the
theory of relativity.  There is no such thing as
absoluteness about any of these things at all.

*Now this modern civilisation in which we live--the
civilisation of railway trains and electric power and
motor cars and mass production and things of that
kind--is the outcome of the inductive method of
thought.  The methods by which we judge in regard to
matters of economics and finance and so forth are the
outcome of deductive methods of thought, the kind of
thought which says that all cows are black, have two
legs, and never move.

*So far as our economic thinking is concerned, it has
taken no cognizance, no notice whatever of the
miraculous changes that have been brought about in
the physical economic system by the inductive method
of thought.

*There is nothing seriously changed about economic
thinking of the real kind, from about, at any rate,
the sixteenth century.  Some critic who thought that
he had discovered something which would be deadly to
my views, said that such and such an opinion that I
had expressed had been contributed by Sir Francis
Somebody in 1610, and when I suggested that what
somebody said about the economic system in 1610 was
history and not news, he did not see the point.*

That is exactly what we do to-day when we argue in
many cases about certain things that are interwoven
with the existing state of affairs.  You will hear
people talking about the virtue of thrift and economy
as connected with the present economic system.  For
instance, the Prime Minister of Canada--if he was
correctly reported, and I only saw a very short
report of what he had said--said that "Nothing but
hard work and thrift would get Canada out of the
difficulties in which it is."  Now, that is exactly
the sort of thing that might conceivably have been
true about 300 years ago, and it has about as much to
do with the present difficulty as the picture of cow
on the hill silhouetted against the light.  If hard
work and thrift would have saved the farmers of
Canada, they would have been saved long ago, because
they are as hard-working as thrifty as any body of
men in the world.

That is not to say that something that we might call
economy and something that we might call thrift and
hard work are not things which have an application
perhaps even at all times, but their application to
the situation changes because the situation changes,
and the form in which it is true to say that economy
and thrift are virtues of the economic system to-day
is quite a different form to that in which it was
true three or four hundred years ago.

*We are still, in our economic thinking, under the
spell of a set of ideas which apply to an age of
scarcity, and we are not living in an age of
scarcity; we are living in a age of plenty, as the
result of the application of the inductive method of
thinking, and I want you to apply to what I am going
to say, the inductive method of thinking.  I want you
to look at the facts, to discard any pre-conceived
theories about them and see whether the facts
correspond with what I might put forward as a
tentative theory, or whether they correspond with
your old pre-conceived ideas.  That is why it is so
necessary to realise these two different kinds of
thinking.*

Now, what are the facts?  I have gone over the facts
in so many places, and I think it is so much common
knowledge, the facts of the abundance of production
at the present time, that I am really almost ashamed
in inflict it upon you.  But, as you know, there is
hardly any staple product at the present time of
which there is not an actual surplus, and there is no
product of any kind whatever of which there is not an
easily realisable potential surplus.  We know that in
Canada, as the result of hard work there is an
enormous surplus of wheat.  The same thing is
probably true in the Western States of America.  The
United States Government is paying a bonus to farmers
not to grow wheat--not a bonus to grow wheat, but a
bonus NOT to grow wheat.  The same thing is exactly
true of cotton.  I need not rub in the position in
regard to wool in speaking to a New Zealand audience.
I have no doubt the same thing is very nearly true in
regard to wheat here.  I have absolutely exact
knowledge that three or four times as much wheat as
is grown in Great Britain could easily be grown at
the present time.  The same thing is true as far as
actual surpluses are concerned, in many staple lines.

Cows are being condemned on the plains of the
Argentine.  Sows are being killed with their litters
in the United States to reduce the number of pigs.
In every way you have this insane preconception that
you have got to bring the standard of living in the
world down to a pre-conceived idea, and you must not
distribute the surpluses unless they are distributed
on the lines laid down by the financial conventions
now current.

Now these are actual surpluses, but consider the
POTENTIAL surpluses!  There is probably not a
manufacturer, a farmer, a producer of any kind in any
part of the western world, by which of course, I mean
western in the cultural sense, which includes New
Zealand, Australia, Canada, United States, Great
Britain, and so forth who could not treble his output
if he were asked to.  The plant that he has is not
working to anything like full capacity.  He is not
employing anything like the number of people who
could be employed, and would be willing to be
employed.

*In every possible way in which you can turn, behind
this front line of actual surpluses you will find
another, an enormously greater line of potential
surpluses.  No-body who will look on these facts with
a completely un-biased eye could possibly suggest
that we are not actually on the doorstep of a world
of abounding plenty.  But look at the lines that we
take in face of a situation of that kind!*
--
[to be continued]