Hi Joel,

On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 14:26 -0800, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

> for the transcend 8GB 266x cf card I got:
>
> 30.3MB/s block write on a 4GB file
> 37.5MB/s block read on a 4GB file (iozone)
> 6.9MB/s rewrite
>
> this is on a system with 2.6 linux kernel ext3fs and 512MB of ram.

Manufacturers obviously don't plug their cards into Soekris boxes for
testing and benchmarking, so average speed in the lab (the 45 Mb/s
claim) is not what the average end user will ever see;). Still not bad,
the fastest I've seen a "slow" card do after a few local tests is 2.35
Mb/s.

However, in my experience, on an operational level it's the other
hardware that matters on a Soekris box. Switching from a net4521 to a
net4801, and later to a net5501, really made a difference (key
generation, SSH login time etc). CF card speed has played only a minor
role.

Bill

"The only statistics you can trust are those you falsified yourself"

Winston Churchill