On Thu, 2008-12-04 at 18:15 +0000, Andrew Thomas wrote:
> PXE boot isn't really for the faint hearted.  For a start you will need
> a Linux PC with a DHCP server and a proper PXE configuration/image.
>
> You can copy files straight to the SD card - but watch out for file
> types (especially if you use a Windows machine to do it).
>
> One thing I haven't tried (as I use PXE) is inserting a HD in to a PC,
> installing Linux on it and then putting that HD in the 5501 box
> (assuming you want to keep it in there).

Alas, those days seem to be over: I found machine-dependencies recently
after sticking a CF with Debian etch on it, installed on a net4801, into
a net 4501. Something to do with that incredibly unfollowable udev
stuff. Incredibly frustrating as well, I really don't want to manually
edit some file with a name like z25_persistent-net.rules, just to be
able to move a disk. Or maybe I missed something..

Excuse me for being pretty off-topic.

Bill