There are too many variables at play with giant, multi-person projects like
software or, for the sake of example, movies:

George Lucas made the Star Wars movies.
He then went on to make Howard the Duck.

Conversely, while Lucas directed "A New Hope", Irvin Kirshner directed
Empire.

There are many more options than a & b from your list. We should deal with
the ones we have control over.
Do the best you can with what you have, and hope for the best while hedging
your bets. :-)

Cheers!