Can you adapt your script to use the built-in option Create Polygon Clusters -
Per Section Along Depth (in the Curve to Mesh Converter operator) to create the
necessary clusters?

gray

From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] On Behalf Of Eric Cosky
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2012 11:34 AM
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: Best way to procedurally set different materials on the
front/bevel/sides of text objects?

Hi,

I have to generate a lot of extruded and beveled text objects which need to
have different materials on the front, bevel and sides. I already have a script
that generates all the individual text objects, but I haven't yet been able to
figure out how to set up the materials using built in features. It seems like
this is perhaps something best done with ICE where I would evaluate the normals
of each text object to identify front/bevel/sides/back and build a new mesh for
each group and assign it the appropriate material. I'm not sure how I would set
up the ICE tree for this though. I see the "Set Materials from Strings" that
came with SI2012 which looks like something I would need, but I'm not yet
finding any examples of how to use this node.

Before I dive too far into this, does anyone have any suggestions or tips on
how to best deal with this task?

Thanks