Chris,

well, I wasn't implying that the bug I found is the cause for every
reported Arnold-related crash... :-) But all tests indicate that it is the
cause for our specific scenario.

As a test I've removed all xsirtcompound files from actual copies of a
couple of our production workgroups and can happily switch between them
without a single crash. This is of course not an option/workaround for
actual production - but solid proof for my theory, I would guess.

To answer your questions:

1.) I repro'ed this with three different versions of Arnold and 3delight.
In addition I asked a friend of mine to repro with VRay as well. So I'm
very confident in claiming that this is NOT a renderer-specific bug.

2.) I didn't state this specifically - but of course the crash is not
happening when no custom renderer is installed. If a custom renderer is
installed, but at a different location (e.g. in the user dir or in a
different workgroup) the crash also does not seem to happen.

Cheers, Martin

--
       Martin Chatterjee

[ Freelance Technical Director ]