Apologies for bringing this slightly old thread back to life. I have been
testing workgroup switching without having to restart Softimage.

Specifically, I have two workgroups, where each workgroup has just one
add-on installed in it. No .xsirtcompound files exist in any workgroup.

The addon in each of the two workgroups is a unique version of VRay.

I want to ideally trigger the workgroup switch using the onEndSceneOpen
event (as every scene defines it's renderer version in a custom property)

If I use the siOnEndSceneOpen event for switching, Softimage always
crashes. Unlike Martins case, the rate of success is 0. However, if I
attach the logic inside the event callback to a buttons OnClicked callback,
the switching works flawlessly after the button is clicked.

Martins original post required an xsirtcompound file to be present in the
workgroup for Softimage to reliably crash, but I can reproduce this crash
every time without the file. It seems to me that this problem is a bit
deeper than it seems. Seng-Siong Lim wrote saying that it was only
reproduced when using a script for switching and manual switching worked
fine. In my case, the switching in either case is triggered through a
script (OnClicked or OnEvent) but only fails when fired through an OnEvent
callback.

If anyone else has notes to share on this, please share.

Cheers,
Sajjad