Cell animation isn't 2's, it's just a varying rate depending of the motion
speed, it can be 1,2,3's sometimes more.

And for stop motion, it really depends, for example when aardman and
dreamworks did Flushed Away,
they freeze 1 frame every 4 frames to mimic their stop motion look.
It might also be an economic choice.

Ahmidou Lyazidi
Director | TD | CG artist
http://vimeo.com/ahmidou/videos