From a technical point of view, since this asteroid belt must perform in a real
time environment, must be optimal in use of resources.  The challenge was this
asteroid belt had to be created by a junior artist with no technical skills and
done in rapid fashion unsupervised.  The question is how do you instruct such a
person to create the asteroid belt to get the task done quickly (< 30 minutes),
effectively, and with minimal risk against immediate and long term objectives
related to pipeline.

Matt

From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] On Behalf Of Rob Chapman
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2014 12:19 PM
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: Re: Survey - how would you do this?

Sorry, thats what I meant, if you are still curious as to seeing some more
different approaches.

Also, just wanted to clarify about the orbits of the asteroids. is it like
Saturn ring or Asteroid belt as am sure you mentioned planets.

if it is a ring then definitely a bitmap approach until close up  then still
bitmaps as they are only micrometer > meter and you could squeeze a lot more
smaller clumps onto a bitmap versus geometry    does your engine do cloud
gridss and can fly through them?  I  imagine an asteroid ring would be similar.

On 14 February 2014 20:01, Matt Lind