For myself, I just want to be heading in a direction of somewhere I
actually want to be. When I think of spending the next 5 years maintaining
a pile of python to make render layers barely work, I just want to cry. And
all of that just to take a massive step backwards. I really just can't.

The alternative of open collaboration between studios to build something
*good* is not only an alternative to despair, it's actually amazingly
exciting. I absolutely can't wait to start using and contributing to a
project like this. So many studios suddenly find themselves in this
situation now, with real urgency. This is a massive opportunity. Like
Stephan just said, if this isn't the right moment, I don't know what is.