Hi Paul, Adam
We do understand that people build their livelihoods on our software. This is
something we take seriously, although (with good reason)  you might find it
hard to believe right now. Every year we spend significant resources
maintaining legacy code so that the new features we add to our products don't
radically disrupt customers workflows. We really do try not to take unnecessary
risks with our software. And we have an incredibly long track record  of
developing software for the long term - one can just look at AutoCAD and 3ds
Max. Even acquisitions like Flame and Maya have continued to be extensively
developed at Autodesk as have other product acquisitions.

We have stated and are committed both to developing our core products and to
innovating. Our decision to focus on 3ds max and Maya was so we could continue
to do both adequately (not one or the other). We are a high tech company so it
wouldn't be realistic to expect us not to try to innovate even if the risks are
high. That does not mean that is all we do.

I am not denying that Softimage customers are now facing some challenging
decisions. But several have said on the forum, and I would personally agree
with them, that in this industry - as in any high-tech industry - it can be
risky to have all your eggs in one basket, even if that means looking outside
of Autodesk (and there are some very interesting solutions out there). Giants
fall (look at SGI). We are not immune to that either. Personally, I do not
think that will happen, but no one at Autodesk will ever make any explicit
guarantees about the future. All I can say is make your software decisions
based on what you see today - anything else would be, to a certain extent,
vaporware and speculation, especially the farther out you look.

maurice

Maurice Patel