Hi Martin:

The Edge Slide tool (pre-2014) is exactly for this purpose, and with vertices you can use hold down C+Move (though YMMV since it's constrained to only one axis of movement).

2014 and onwards you can use the integrated NEX tools edge/surface slide options to achieve this.

Yours sincerely,
Siew Yi Liang