The interesting thing is that the M&E industry is full of custom and
specialized tech created to solve specific production problems. That is not
going to change any time soon because people are always trying to do push
boundaries (whether in games or VFX) and so build interesting solutions to
their problems. Taking proven technology and productizing it, whether as
individual products, (like the Foundry) or as features (like Autodesk) is not
really a bad thing a-priori -  you could argue it is actually a very good thing
as it benefits a lot more people if you do (assuming you do it well).

Now you may question our execution, but it is incorrect to think that (1) this
is not an effective thing to do to ensure the best production technology can be
accessed by more people or (2) to think that only Autodesk is interested in
acquiring and productizing proven production solutions and (3) to think that
Autodesk is only interested in acquiring technology. We develop a lot of
features in-house including major architectural work which is complex,
difficult to do and doesn't always reward you with a new 'shiny feature' that
is easy to demo. We also acquire tech, redesign and re-engineer it, even
rewrite it entirely, to fit into our products and workflows and yes, if it is
more efficient to do so, we just integrate it.

But that is not all we do and there seem to be some popular misconceptions -
such as the fact that the 'plug-ins' that referred to in the links are nothing
to do with the features that were being described in 3ds Max 2015. Not that 3ds
Max is Softimage - but it is not just a bunch of plug-ins either.

maurice

Maurice Patel