Hi Chris,

And thanks for having taken the time to write such a long explanation.

I too have been around Softimage for twenty years (as a user, but also as an
instructor) and have followed it along its bumpy road, so nothing that you
recount surprises me.

However, what *does* intrigue me is the fact that recently, in the last couple
of years, and despite the lack of marketing push and development by Autodesk, I
truly believe that Softimage was finally beginning to gain ground. Many, many
high profile commercials had been made with it, as well as playing a big role
in a few features (Lego being the obvious and most pertinent example).
This was in large part due to ICE, of course, but nevertheless it seemed that
Softimage was being talked about more than ever before, and infact it seemed to
be gaining ground in a few educational facilities too.

Of course I’m not privy to information about number of users or seats sold, but
I can’t help wondering if the figures haven’t been skewed by the introduction
of bundles that effectively show up as Maya or 3DSMax licenses, despite the
fact that Softimage was the software being used.

Care to comment?

Thanks,
Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis Billard