agree that AndrewPrices suggestions were valid in some scenarios but not the
ideal solution in many scenarios...
agree on z-up as well (has its origins in OpenGL I think), BUT: where exactly
can this not be worked around? IO addons/functionality in blender usually comes
with an option for "which axis UP" (at least this is the case for OBJ, FBX, pc2,
meshcache modifier...)

Greetz
Philipp