I have been using Cinema 4D and the thing that has impressed me is that the
plugins out there are really quite inexpensive.
I know this isn't a "feature", but we cannot ignore the community that
surrounds the application, and the community around C4D seems very strong.

Anyway, the plugins are between $10 and $25 usually. Some are a few
hundred, but rarely, and those add quite a lot of functionality. Turbulence
FD, which I really want to buy,
is a few hundred dollars, for instance, but is quite impressive in the time
I have used the demo.

When it comes to history, I found an amazing plugin called Storage Bin,
that is best described as an Undo/Redo for each object (and even
hierarchies) but it is NOT linear.
It actually saves the current state a model (or light, or texture, etc.) is
in, and allows you to restore that version at any time. It is a bit like
the Soft abilty to revert the scene state from saved Quick Renders, but
on a per object basis, and again, ot linear at all.

You can always go back (or forward) to a saved state on a per-object basis.
This is a very cool ability, offering a lot of functionality for showing
clients iterations, having them decide on a version of a model, or
whatever, and even if they change their mind to a totally different version
at the last minute, you can go to that version and all the transforms (on
an object level anyway) will be retained.

It is $24.

That kind of economics will really help my transition.

--

Perry Harovas
Animation and Visual Effects

http://www.TheAfterImage.com <http://www.theafterimage.com/>

-25 Years Experience
-Member of the Visual Effects Society (VES)