As far as I know the material is not converter, you have to create the
material itself inside UE4 but, when you import, it allows you ( in the
import option ) to create a material which if I remember correctly will
contain both the diffuse and normal map

Regarding the FBX export from Softimage I made a videotutorial exporting a
character using Species.

Softimage to Unreal Engine 4 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvg-EABdkfQ>

Anyway as long as you export a model ( you mean a mesh or a model as it is
called inside Softimage? ) it should work properly, it usually have
problems with multiple roots with characters.

If you can upload the model, I'll take a look at it and see what is the
problem ;)