Hello,
Depending on how much time you have, this may help. I made a layout maker
which did something similar. For our purposes a layout is essentially a
collection of models (referenced or otherwise). Our emdl exporter attached
a custom property to each model which stored the current scene path and the
path the model was exported to.

Modifying a model in the layout meant hitting a button which would, if
required, swap out a referenced model for a local version (to modify geo).
After modifications, hit another button which would:
1. Export the new emdl file (the path to export to was taken from the
custom property)
2. Start a batch process which would update the original scene file (path
of the original scene file was taken from the custom property)
3. If required, import back the newly imported model as a reference.

The above is a somewhat simplified because I had to cater to versioning,
shot specific modifications and more.

Sajjad