Damn premature sends! If you go molex to 6pin make sure it's with a dual
molex adapter, while good PSUs can deliver a lot more on them, standard
molex spec is 40W, while 6pin is 75W.

On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 2:42 AM, Raffaele Fragapane <
raffsxsil...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> 800W PSU not CPU, though a CPU with an 800W TDP would be interesting to
> cool :p
>
> On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 2:30 AM, Raffaele Fragapane <
> raffsxsil...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Splitting the outlet might or might not work out for you.
>> While it's touted as a feature a large majority of high output PSUs are
>> multirail because it's generally cheap to provide multiple stable lines
>> than one large pipe distributed arbitrarily over N cables.
>>
>> What that boils down to is that if you have an 800W CPU, but it's a
>> multirail with the 6pin on a 120W necked line (hard coupled), and you fork
>> it to two videocards for a 200W pull, you are going at the very least to
>> run a very hot PSU, and at the worst to set it on fire :p
>>
>> And if you think Dell or HP use premium components, especially for the
>> PSUs, think again, more often than not even their workstation grade
>> components have been, at one point or another, extremely subpar.
>>
>> You can always convert another rail if you have a multi rail. 6pins
>> aren't anything magic, they still run two or three sublines like anything
>> else and a molex on a spare rail should be convertible to 6pin. If you have
>> a quality single rail PSU, you should be able to safely split.
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 10:56 PM, Tim Leydecker <bauero...@gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>>>  It´s good to write things like this, I guess.
>>>
>>> A minute later I found the HP part number:
>>>
>>> Hewlett Packard 6PIN TO DUAL-6PIN GRAPHICS ADAPTER
>>> F5J05AA
>>>
>>> This let´s you split a 6pin connection to 2x6pin.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Similar adapters are available from 3rd party vendors.
>>>
>>> I can´t tell how well this would work when using "hot" nVidia 7xx range
>>> cards
>>> but the gt 970 cards are spec´d for needing roughly 150W, drawing around
>>> 180W in
>>> actual test scenarios.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> I´d guess that would allow a stable 2xGPU system (using a HP 1100+W PSU)
>>> but for a 3-4xGPU system, I´d actually revert my suggestion and go
>>> home/custom built.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> tim
>>>

>>> Am 30.12.2014 um 12:04 schrieb Tim Leydecker:
>>>
>>> I was suggesting to also look into refurbished HP Z800/Z820/Z840
>>> workstations
>>> as a basis for building a multi-GPU plattform.
>>>
>>> There is a grain of salt.
>>>
>>> Most if not all graphics cards come expecting an additional 2x6pin power
>>> supply,
>>> e.g. 75W from the PCIe slot, plus 75W from each 6pin connection, there
>>> are
>>> Quadro cards that are spec´ed for 150W power consumption but most
>>> gaming cards will excess that 150 W drain limit.
>>>
>>> You´d need at least 4 6pin connections for 2 gaming cards.
>>>
>>> The HP Z8++ series may present problems because of the way the PSU
>>> provides
>>> these 6 pin connections in a vendor specific cable kit.
>>>
>>> There are several cable kits available but I haven´t found a 4x6pin kit
>>> sofar.
>>> This could be a dissapointment for anyone looking into get such a
>>> plattform.
>>>
>>> Of course, there is a chance I missed something from the datasheets and
>>> spare parts
>>> listings, as well as a chance the HPZ840 doesn´t have such a limitation.
>>>
>>> Worth mentioning anyway.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> tim
>>> Am 12.12.2014 um 12:14 schrieb Angus Davidson:
>>>
>>> Worthwhile noting that Octane works with the GTX 9XX cards very well. It
>>> also has a really good Network GPU support. Which means you dont need to
>>> cram 4 cards into one machine. If you dont know what you are doing the
>>> machine can go *Poof* very easily.

>>> Titan (Black) nvidia cards, expected early next year, mostly because of