Update:  Softimage 7.5 32bit on win7 x64 works.

Thanks for making me give it another try, Luc-Eric.

I re-installed Softimage 7.5 32 bit using the web installer on xin7 x64:

Autodesk_Softimage_7.5_English_Japanese_WIN_32bit.exe

I updated my License File with the new file provided by Autodesk and
restarted the license server pointing to the new license.

Restarted win7.

Running the "Softimage" link in the Startmenu as Administrator makes
win7 x64 swap it´s menu style to "Windows 7-Basis" and XSI.exe will
properly start.

I guess that step required by win7 was UAC blocked in my previous attempts.

---
I also deleted the extra adsk_port infos from the Autodesk.lic in Softimage´s
installpath\Softimage\Softimage_7.5\adlm\licenses

making Softimage´s Autodesk.lic identical to a compareable Maya LICPATH.lic file Those are not the license files, those files tell a network licensed install where
to look for a license.

but that may not be neccessary, I just did it to make sure my 64bit LMTOOLS
will be found by Softimage (instead of making it listening to port 2080) looking
for a license on the hostname specified in that file.

--

Cheers,

tim