Hey yall, long time no see.  Thought I would give you guys an over-view of
my Softimage transition to Blender, 1 year in.  (Been with Softimage for
almost 9 years trained at VFS, > Before that I was all Maya 6+ dedicated
years, then off and on use, before that I was 3DSMax/just starting out).

If there is any interest, I can suggest some options/settings/tips/tricks
for Blender to help anyone trying to get into it from a Softimage
background, just ask, I'm happy to oblige.
(because of the sad state of Blender FBX and reading a litany of eerily
similar FBX issues in Houdini which would have been my first choice before
Maya), > literally going to use Maya as a glorified exporter, otherwise
mostly quite happy in Blender!.
---------------------

Blender FBX/Normals (grade D-) :  Current biggest problems with Blender for
game dev, is it's pretty horrible custom FBX solution and it's lackluster
support (and only recently) for direct control over normals, tangents,
bi-normals, etc..  It does have solid SMD export for Valve workshop stuff,
but if your focus is on Unity/UE4, expect difficulties frustrations that I
suspect will last until late into the year if not much longer.

Poly-modeling (B+):  A few settings you need to know about, and whalakazam,
you get something that is nearly as good as Softimage poly modeling.  It
even does a few things far better than Softimage ever did, I find it to be
far superior to Maya in this category.  It has become, and will remain my
full-time go to modeling application.  (I have fully abandoned Softimage
for better or worse)

UI/Customizability (A-): It's fully open to customize or extend, and the
Blender hot-key system once you learn it, is quite good > the default
hotkeys aren't even half-bad but they aren't perfect either.  There are a
plethora of very well done free and paid add-ons.  UI seems quirky at
first, but once you learn it, you realize it's hiding a lot of power under
the hood.  UI and Customize-ability is one of Blender's best features *but
it's not immediately apparent, and takes reasonable dedication to fully
appreciate.  It's better than Softimage and Maya on this front (for
indie/small studio), however nothing to this day matches Softimages
perfected defaults and standard hot-key set and it's near perfect
consistency through-out different sections of the system, out of the box,
-but surprisingly, Blender is by far, the closest of all to Softimage's
elegance even though that is a tall order to fill.

Documentation/Tutorials (A+): Mostly Free and a few good paid tutorials,
out the wazzzooo.  The only software out there that I have used with equal
tutorial/community support is Unreal Engine 4.

UV's: (C-): Do-able, and the automatic stuff just works a lot better than
Maya 2015's when I last tried it.  Some fine tune editing works quite well,
while a few things related to fine tuning after automatic results, are
frustratingly/maddening and time consuming, and that's what drops the
entire grade (it would be very difficult to explain in text).  I found
Softimage to have B+/A- UV features once you mastered it.

Sculpting (B+/A-): For raw poly power, it's no ZBrush/Mudbox (Mudbox being
my favorite of the two, aka. I hate the ZBrush UI)  However, if you follow
some specific workflow guidelines, Blender has quite an amazing sculpting
tool-set and so far it is my favorite sculpting package overall because of
the ability to go back and forth between low-res base mesh poly-modeling
and right back to sculpting detail and or  proto-typing.  Two types of
sculpting, traditional for normal map/displacement/finished work and
another type for rapid proto-typing, that allows you to create/collapse
geometry on the fly, so you can proto-sculpt infinitely without caring 1
bit about the underlying mesh as it will create or delete geo as needed.
Has all your standard base brush needs, can make most any brush, some
limitations but minor and I only have 1 single sculpting add-on for Boolean
cuts which works nicely, I've seen many, quite nice looking sculpting
add-ons that I haven't yet explored, it's deep and it's being actively
developed.

Texture Painting (B+/A- to use > but quirky to learn): First time setup is
a bit to learn, but once you figure it out, you get VERY nice easy to work
with multi-layered texture painting, full pressure sensitive painting
support / basic but reasonable default brush library and good brush
settings available for each, can paint into any map slot you like with
multiple layers.

Animation/Rigging/Blend Shapes(D-/A-  great in it's own right but needs
FBX/etc. to play nice with others that is why large grade gap):  I haven't
gone too deep here, but the basics all work nicely without issue for me.
If FBX was fixed, it's an easy passable to high grade.

Materials/Render (D-/B+): Has 2 systems.  Old stack based and new node
based.  Neither are perfect but both can and do work well, they are also
barely compatible with each other.  I don't render much, my focus is
Games/Realtime.  That said, I do a lot of material/texture work.  I'd say
Blender is quirky in this department at best (I suspect no one here will
appreciate it), but when you get it all worked out at it's best, it's at
least passable.  -No where near as good as Softimage (Soft material nodes
were the best, EVER, anywhere.), also not as powerful as Maya overall but
the node interface is as good/slightly better than Maya last time I checked
- (I thought Maya's new node system was very clunky/awkward to use in
practice (too many exposed pins, etc, >Blender's node system is way, way
more friendly/workable.  I think most Softimage users will find Blenders
older stack system completely foreign, although I've grown to like it for
some odd reason).  The new cycles rendering, for the very little I played
with it, is quite powerful and more up to date than age-ing mental ray but
one will probably need to delve into the paid tutorial realm and some
months of study for professional results.

Baking (D-/C-):  It's a quirky system.  Can work well enough at times.
When it does work well it's never 100% perfect, usually needs slight
touch-ups in paint.  When it starts giving you cyclical dependency errors,
you'll be pulling your hair out, there's no good reason for it but it's a
persistent bug that is sometimes fixed and sometimes re-appears, the work
arounds are awful.  Softimage in it's prime makes Blender's baking
interface look and feel like utter crap.  I use it for transferring maps
after I re-do UV's or for baking Normals/etc. but at first sign of it going
into bug mode, I switch to XNormal, which is of coarse, a hassle and time
waster.

Extra Features:  Blender has pretty decent and quite use-able nodal based
composting system and a dedicated video editing system built in.  I've also
been pretty happy with the regular updates of new features and improvements
and the software's recent focus on making itself more accessible/UI
friendly.  The large crowd of independent and young 3D artists out there
using Blender today, are quite rapidly producing impressive results, it's
quite promising.  There are a wealth of add-ons, both paid and free for
Blender, I haven't gone too deep into them yet, but I have found a few
great ones.

Maya LT 2016 questions:  I'm about ready to pull the trigger on this
purchase.  Going to start a demo soon, to test a few things but I'm
confident it will suit my needs where Blender fails hard.  General
question: how have Maya LT > UE4 users been finding the 2016 LT experience,
any complaints, or is it all good?  Has anyone used Maya LT with NVidia's
Apex physics add-ons?  I currently use Apex stand-alone and it's a pain in
the ass, I figured the Maya add-on would be a lot better, is it working?

If anyone has any Maya modeling tutorials / system settings / plug-ins /
free downloads that bring it into line with what Softimage was capable of,
I'm at the very least curious.  You know what I mean, hotkeys, speed/ease
of use/comfort/power at the ready.  I am happy in blender, but curious what
you guys might have discovered over the last year.

My main question/concerns regards custom normals, bi-normals, tangents.  I
will be able to see what LT has to offer when I demo it soon, but from the
comparison list, there is a chart between LT and full Maya that lists
missing features in these categories (namely: normal constraints / tangent
constraints).  Any info related to normals, tangents and bi-normal /
editing in Maya LT appreciated.  (not as important, there were a few other
features between full Maya and LT, that I found weird that they left them
out, like transfer maps?, any idea why?  that would have been nice since
Softimage's transfer maps always worked quite well)  Viewport 2.0 missing,
seems odd?   The list I have is here >, is this accurate/up to date?

http://www.autodesk.com/products/maya/compare/compare-products

Thanks.