Fabian.  I remembered this here for nature stuff (I have no experience with
it but that might give you some ideas on large/nature scenes)
http://thenatureacademy.blenderguru.com/sp/7612-the-nature-academy-live-now

Also, less nature specific, but creating/editing curves in blender isn't
great atm, it works but it's not great ( you start with a default s curve
and have to edit it, no drawing points ).  Animating along a path I think
works fine.  However, extruding/lofting along a curve in Blender is a
complete mess, just fyi.  I finally got it to work months back when I was
learning, it's implemented really weirdly.  I don't like how it works at
all, it's just odd and cumbersome and seems like something they just
haven't gotten around to updating in a long while.  There maybe be separate
modeling add-ons that do a better job for lofting/extruding along a curve.
It's not a feature that I use all of the time, but it's annoying when-ever
it comes up.