I think it doesn't matter that there is a patent around some
implementation detail of attribute transfer in XSI, or even who wrote
it.  I think what people see in a GATOR is a menu item in XSI that
will transfer property maps, uv, skinning between objects reliably and
without having to understand the details.  Why that works is because
of decisions in XSI'd design and architecture, because you have to
have something that's property-based in the first place and all that
cluster updating thing beneath to use it as a "live" operator.
Somebody could totally write yet another attribute transfer tool, but
I think what people love IMHO is how XSI's data is structured which
allows such a tool to be implemented.