If it is any help, when I started studying graphics design/communication design in 1998, the starting point for the transition had already been set way before my starting there...

It´s amazing how one or two people with a few forms and the budget to decide on can ruin your day.

At least it´s not just like that in universities.

We have an airport here in Berlin that will or will not be finish by 2013/2014 on a week or two´s notice.

It really boils down on what did you expect?

Cheers,

tim