There´s loads of differences between FBX 2014 and FBX2016, also there´s the send to Maya option and the location of your folder for embedded media that could do things unwanted.

All that said, you might have a look at your File Format>Embed Textures settings, maybe there is something
you wouldn´t want to happen?

http://docs.autodesk.com/SI/2015/ENU/#!/url=./files/dataman_xwalk_props_ExportFBXOptionsDialogBox.htm

Another thing could be the fbx check for bad polygons that would modify data exported.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/MAYAUL/2015/ENU/?guid=Data_Exchange

And there´s always the chance you set the wrong type of Euler vs Quaternion interpretation/conversion
worth double checking the help files for.

In case you are using HIK, the Skeleton Definition export seems to be broken on export in FBX 2015+ or at least it doesn´t come enabled with the default Autodesk M&E preset, might be worth checking if the Motionbuilder Preset gives you a better starting point to bounce data back and forth, depending on FBX plug-in version, task, etc.

It may sound anal to do but imho it´s best to have a TD set up a custom preset for the *.fbx dialog in both Softimage and Maya and force the artists to use that from then on. It´s even possible to make it a button and suppress any dialog. If that would make you feel cornered, imagine yourself debugging 10 different files with different settings...

Better have a TD read through things and run a test to make sure things are solid.

I would suggest to also export and re-import to check for what actually happens to animation data. Can be a surprise, too...

The *.fbx container format has grown so big, it´s almost impossible to hit the correct setting by luck and constantly mixing and changing settings doesn´t really help verifying that this or that *.fbx is what it is supposed to be.

Cheers,

tim