Just speculation on my part, but I think the hiring of the Singapore team
was made after the decision to send Softimage into maintenance mode.  The
Montreal and Singapore teams co-existed as a means to get the Singapore team
up to speed with the nuances of the application as Softimage was built with
a lot of legacy and technology which wasn't terribly common anymore.  The
couple of versions of extra dev was just the benefit of having the larger
staff for a short period of time.

You can look at Softimage's market share any way you like, but it all comes
back to they dropped the ball with 'Sumatra'.  While there were many valiant
attempts to get back in the game, once studios backed Maya with a two year
head start, it was really difficult to get any penetration as pipelines and
working relationships with outsourcing had already been firmly established.
Typically companies on the block spend a lot of money to promote themselves
very actively to be attractive to a buyer.  Development of ICE and all the
hype with it was largely a necessity and, quite frankly, a last ditch effort
to get back into the game as they were otherwise on a slow ride into the
sunset.  ICE helped change that for a while, until Autodesk bought them.

Softimage under Autodesk was, if you read the acquisition press release
between the lines, to obtain the Softimage developers, not to obtain the
product.  Marc Petit was the former head of R+D at Softimage for project
Sumatra, so there was some old connections there to make it happen, and
Softimage stayed an active product as long as he was head of Autodesk Media
and Entertainment, but when he stepped down a few years ago, new management
came in and that's when the decision to terminate Softimage got traction.
So here we are.

Softimage had enough market share to remain viable, but not a whole lot of
cushion above that.  When I used to run Mantom in the early 2000's, my phone
used to ring quite regularly for training requests and momentum was
building.  But after XSI v3.0 was shipped and the decision to raise it's
price tag with it while Maya dropped their prices to half....literally
overnight my phone stopped ringing.  Regardless of what sales numbers
employees would cite, the truth is finding work using Softimage was on a
long slow decline for a very long time.  I saw it first in the educational
channel as my part time gigs would slowly dry up from declining enrollment,
followed by declining opportunities for freelance work.  Some would argue
Autodesk killed Softimage with mis-handling of marketing.  While it's true
they did a poor job with the resources they had, reality is even if they had
done it right, the product had limited life.

Shotgun is a different beast entirely.  that acquisition is post Marc Petit
and therefore really shouldn't be compared to Softimage, Mudbox, or other
earlier acquisitions in terms of management of the product.  Marc Stevens is
running that sector now, and from a distant vantage point where I sit, it
appears things are going to be run in similar manner to when he was GM at
Softimage/Avid.  Lots of independent projects with each targeting specific
needs in the industry.  The pros are building relationships with customers,
ability to cut a product cleanly from the nest if it doesn't work out, and
products having the autonomy they need to be competitive in their respective
markets.  The cons are costs of buying products and lack of interoperability
between them in seamless fashion, as well as the duplication of staff
performing similar functions at the different companies.  Reduction of staff
and merging operations is only one recession away - it's like a pendulum.

That said, I think Solid Angle will likely be run autonomously like
Softimage|CAT or Face Robot.  Products which hit specific needs and don't
necessarily fold into the larger company portfolio seamlessly.

Matt