I don't have time to commit to discussion right now as I'm studying for
final exams, but I thought I'd mention a few things:

1) As established earlier, custom topology operators are NOT officially
supported in the Softimage SDK.  You might be able to create a custom
topology operator to work for a specific use case, but it is not supported
for the general case.  So don't be surprised if you cannot solve certain
problems.

2) Try defining all your port connections explicitly as input or output,
don't mix n' match between explicit ports and the combined IOPort.

3) Make sure to define all your output ports before defining any input
ports.

4) Try defining fixed port index values for your connections, listing your
output ports first.

These may sound like splitting hairs, but when you're dealing with an
incomplete system, you must try all options.  I've often found subtle
differences in implementations are often the difference between something
that works vs. something that doesn't.  It can be a hair pulling experience,
but if you find a solution, then it's worth it.

Matt