While it won't help with global-local switching - just in case you don't know
already when it comes to 'motion path' thing -  there's relative new feature
called "editable motion trail", basically is function curve in 3d viewport,
imho it's nice feature, worth to try.
      From: Morten Bartholdy <x...@colorshopvfx.dk>
 To: "Userlist, Softimage" <softimage@listproc.autodesk.com>
 Sent: Monday, September 11, 2017 12:16 PM
 Subject: Maya - what were they thinking 2 - transforms

So I understand (to some degree) that there are fundamental differences between
the  way transformations are handled in Maya vs Soft, but I just ran into
something which on the surface looks simple, but is quite mindboggling.
Hopefully it is just a case of Mayas way of hiding useful stuff in some obscure
submenu or relationship editor, but here goes:

I am doing some very simple keyframe animation in Maya (one of the few things
that does not drive me entirely crazy) and am animating a thingy which is
parented to a gun which is pointed in a particular direction. I just want it to
fly of on its local z-axis so I select it, set Transform Tool Settings, Axis
Orientation to Object, key frame translate out along z-axis and keyframe. Now I
want to edit the function curves to make sure it accelerates as desired, open
the graph editor and see graph representation of its motion is in world space,
ie. it is not only animated on the z-axis, but also on x and Y. Obviously
editing these curves  manually will easily lead to having the object not flying
in a straight line...

In this case I could draw a curve to use as motion path, but is is more
cumbersome (like so many things in Maya) and for many reasons I would really
prefer to be able to switch between World space and Object space in the Graph
Editor. Our resident Maya artist has looked for similar functionality many
times through different Maya versions, so far without luck, so she can not
offer relief from this specific lack of brainpower on the part of the Maya devs.

Can Maya knowledgeable people here confirm this fundamental lack of
functionality or perhaps tell where I find it, or barring that, offer advice
regarding how to achieve something similar?

Thanks (sigh)

Morten