I just got a reply from Redshift. From Houdini write a vertex color attribute
from the motiondata - it could be called Vel or whatever. It imports into Maya
as a Color Set which name needs to be entered in the Alembic objects Mesh
Controls Motion Vector Color Set, ie. write Vel in that frame - no dropdown
with choices, but that's Maya for you.

It seems the Houdini motion data values are per second, so we needed to divide
the frame duration by 25 (25fps) to get realistic motionblur.

One would expect all this to be transparent to the user in 2018 but hey, it
seems everybody gave up on making UI's accessible and cram as much tech crap as
possible in instead.

MB