Hi Med,

My comments below. Please do not take them personal. No offense.
Please, please.

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 6:48 AM,  <mohamed.boucad...@orange.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I really don't understand this issue.
> It is even misplaced to have this comment at this stage, since this is a
> document which has been adopted by the WG and the solution it specifies is
> the same as the one reviewed by the WG prior to its adoption (i.e., since
> April 2011).
>
> Anyway, below a tentative to explain the overall rationale:
>
> DS-Lite model can not be reduced to a CGN/AFTR + tunnel. DS-Lite should be
> first seen as an IP connectivity service. This service can be defined as
> follows:
>
> * delivery of IPv4 connectivity over an IPv6-capable network.
> * delivery of native IPv6 connectivity
> * DS-Lite serviced customers are assigned with IPv6 prefix and no IPv4
> address.
>
> The unicast portion of the service is defined in RFC6333 and is implemented
> using a tunnel + CGN.
>
> The multicast portion of the service is defined in
> draft-ietf-softwire-dslite-multicast. This portion of the service can be
> defined as follows:
>
> * delivery of IPv4 multicast content using native IPv6 multicast capabilities
> * delivery of native IPv6 multicast content
>
> The solution proposed in draft-ietf-softwire-dslite-multicast is designed to
> allow DS-Lite serviced customers be delivered IPv4 multicast services.

These are religious arguments.
Translation multicast integrates well with several IPv6 transition
technologies. MAP-T is one. NAT64 is another, 4rd also. But not MAP-E.
Let's use translation multicast with those technologies.

No matter what you want to believe, DS-Lite is a tunneling technology.
Why do you think DS-Lite was standardized in Softwires WG? Same thing
with 6rd.
Remember softwire means tunnel.
Translation has only been added to Softwires WG recently after Behave
WG stopped working on it.

> A side note, I agree with Stig and Woj the proposed solution can be
> generalized to cover any 4-6-4 scenario. This can be done easily by updating
> the draft (abstract and introduction) to reflect the change of scope of use
> cases. We didn't had the ambition to define a generic solution when we wrote
> this draft, we focused mainly on the DS-Lite context. If there is no
> objection from the WG, we can implement that change.

So you agree that it is a generic solution and nothing in common with DS-Lite.

Regards,

Behcet