Med: We included DS-Lite in the scope because of the following:

* Several WG participants are concerned with optimizing the code and re-using
existing modules.
* Some DS-Lite components are shared with A+P solution: e.g., tunnel endpoint
* A+P may be seen as an exit strategy of the CGN: optimisation migration path
and required changes in the CPEs need to be taken into account.

>B) I disagree that "co-existance" between Lw4o6 and MAP is a goal;

Med: MAP1:1 and lw4o6 are presented in the draft as soltuions for the binding
mode.

>unified functional CPE spec for NAT44-less core relays
>accessed via IPv6
>is. As such, describing "modes" as in "solution modes" is not
>conductive
>to that and a solution term neutral functional breakdown is
>essential and
>IMO possible (further explained below). This will only make the spec
>better and simpler for implementers.

Med: This is what we tried to do in
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bfmk-softwire-unified-cpe-00#section-4.3.

>In Section 3 the draft coin a new term/class of solution
>called "Binding
>approach".

Med: FYI, this is not a new term: please refer to
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6346#section-4.4.

>This effectively refers to configuration state which *all*
>solutions need,
>and is not helpful in providing anything but more verbiage.
>Removing this
>classification from all of the text is recommended.

Med: IMHO this is the core of the discussion between MAP and Lw4o6 teams.
Having a neutral terminology and a full understand of what this is about is
IMHO important to converge.

>Further in section 3 the draft lists different functional
>elements, and it
>is here that major changes are needed.

Med: Section 3 is to be seen as a reminder for the solution flavors we have on
the table. This section can be moved to an appendix. I would expect we focus
our discussion on Section 4.

 For a unified solution
>a functional
>breakdown in a solution neutral text is essential.

Med: We really tried to adopt a neutral terminology in Section 4. Suggestions
are welcome on how to enhance that section.

IMO A unified CE has
>the following basic functionalities, which I propose to be added to the
>text in place of the existing one:

Med: Could you please point me which text you are referring to? Thanks.

>- IPv4 NAT whose address and port restrictions are configurable
>- an IPv6 transport whose source and destination transport address are
>deterministically derived/configurable
>
>- an IPv4 routing capability (also configurable)

Med: What does that mean?

>In example terms, consider a CPE configured with IPv4 address,
>restricted
>Port range X and IPv6 source address Y and transport address Z.
>There is no difference in these parameters between Lw4o6 and
>MAP, and it
>shows the essence of what we need to get at.

Med: Isn't that what is captured in "Table 3: Supported Features" ?

   +--------------+----------------+-----------------+-----------------+
   |   Functional |  IPv4-in-IPv6  | Port-restricted | Port-restricted |
   |      Element |     tunnel     |       IPv4      |      NAT44      |
   |              |    endpoint    |                 |                 |
   +--------------+----------------+-----------------+-----------------+
   |           B4 |       Yes      |       N/A       |        No       |
   +--------------+----------------+-----------------+-----------------+
   |         lwB4 |       Yes      |       Yes       |     Optional    |
   |     MAP-E CE |       Yes      |       Yes       |     Optional    |

>One can comment further on the details of the draft, but
>getting the basic
>functional breakdown is essential (example above) before we
>get into that.
> The only thing different between the solutions are not the basic
>functionalities but rather how this functionality is configured.

Med: I guess you are talking about MAP1:1 and LW4over6.