I'll plead ignorance: I haven't had experience with Jetty or recent
versions of Tomcat.
I wouldn't mind seeing what you can put together, and I agree that all
else being equal, we should prefer ASF projects.

Perhaps the bundled appserver shouldn't even be a minimal install
given that some will just copy the example directory to get their
project off the ground.

-Yonik